LLL teacher training system
Once in previous working packages LLL teacher training courses have bee designed, Albanian universities LLL Centres for Teacher Training have been Developing teacher competencies for a comprehensive VET system in Albania – TEAVET created and connected (WP2), and teacher educators from Albanian universities are trained (WP3), it is time for the implementation of the LLL teacher training system.
MoES will be the lead organisation in this WP. This is crucial for the aims of the project since the LLL Teacher Training System is conceived by the Ministry as the key element of a VET system that guarantees the quality of teacher professional development programs in which universities play a key role as main providers. In collaboration with the Institute of Education Development (a unit of MoES) and the National Accreditation Agency, the LLL Teacher Training System has to comply with international quality standards of teacher training professionals. In sum, it is expected in this working package to set teacher professional development accredited programs which implies systematic updating of the catalogue of certified courses, certified trainers, prepare a database for licensed teachers, monitoring the system, and work on the evaluation of the performance of teachers.
In order to comply with this objective, several phases will be followed:
1. Pilot courses: the implementation of training courses needs a pilot phase in order to validate that the LLL training courses and their planning within the LLL Centres for Teacher Training are properly set up. Each of the 7 Albanian university partners will implement one training course for teachers within a three-month period (from April to June 2019).
2. Evaluation of pilot courses: a survey will be conducted to the teachers who attended the courses and to the teacher’s educators from the universities who delivered the courses. Results of the survey will be discussed in a focus group in Gjirokastra with the aim of making the necessary adjustments to the LLL teacher Training System in order to start with the implementation of teaching training courses from September 2019 to June 2020.
3. Establishment of MoES registration database and accreditation system:
The establishment of the accreditation of the LLL Teacher Training System (aims and objectives, accreditation standards, accreditation bodies, stages of the accreditation process, monitoring of the accreditation process) involves government requirements and needs the collaboration of representatives from MoES and other national stakeholders as the key element of a VET system that guarantees the quality of teacher professional development programs. Also, as a key tool of the LLL Teacher Training System, MoES will
establish a national information management system & database of teacher training that will be able to register teachers in training courses, to manage the assessment processes, exams, course materials delivery, etc. Human resources of Albanian universities will be engaged to design and develop the national system that manages the process of teacher registration.
4. Implementation of training courses. From September 2019 to June 2020, 16 teacher training courses with 2 credits each will be implemented. These courses will have previously passed the accreditation process and will be included in the national information management system & database of teacher training.
1. Preparing teaching materials
2. Implementation of the pilot course (3 months)
3. Advising partner universities during the implementation of the pilot course
4. Survey to attendants (pre-university teachers) and teachers educators to evaluate the pilot course
5. Developing teacher competencies for a comprehensive VET system in Albania – TEAVET
6. Evaluating the pilot course
7. Elaborating the evaluation report of the pilot courses
8. Focus-group and meeting for making adjustments to the LLL Training System
9. Establishing of MoES registration database
10. Establishing of MoES accreditation system
11. Implementation of training courses (2 semesters)
12. Advising partner universities during the implementation of training courses
13. Coordinating the whole WP4 (Lead organisation P4)